I know most of you are thinking that the words “adventure” and “quilting” don’t necessarily go together, but I assure you they do! I managed to finish the entire top of my quilt in 3 days, which I’m sure is a world record… well, probably not, but it’s certainly a very distinguished accomplishment for me. I’m sure it didn’t hurt that I happened (very coincidentally) to choose a simple pattern that was relatively easy to cut and assemble, though I did learn the hard way that you should always measure twice (or 3, 4, or 5 times) and cut once making sure your cutting utensil is very sharp and you’re arm isn’t feeling wobbly.
Now, to finish the actual “quilting” part of the project. I’m using the excuse that I don’t have any batting, which I think is a darn good reason. Tomorrow I’m planning on making the journey to JoAnn’s fabric to purchase some, though I’m anxious about letting myself loose in that store now that I’ve discovered the joys of sewing. I already have a sizeable collection of fabric and I’d never even made anything until last week! Oh wait, that’s not true. The basis for the collection was from my first major project more than 10 years ago when I made a bunch of headscarves and sold them at the county summer festival, Country Days (good ole’ Farmington, Missouri!). To be safe, I think I’d better leave the credit cards at home… or maybe just in the car 🙂
Here are some pictures of the quilt I’ve made. I was so excited about the project that I was too impatient to take many “before” or even “during” photos, as usual, but I’m working on it. I followed a WONDERFUL tutorial on this website: http://oldredbarnco.blogspot.com/ Here’s what’s going on in the photos:
1. Sew 6 long strips of fabric together, right sides facing- that’s very important!
2. Cut strip sets into square block (then re-cut to make sure they’re square, lol)
3. End up with lots of blocks like this
4. Lay them out in the pattern you want. Then sew together (not pictured).
Yeah, I know you’re missing a lot, but you get the gist. The Old Red Barn Co website has a LOT of pictures and step-by-step instructions that even I was able to follow.
Next I have to decide what to use for the back and buy batting. I’m trying to decide between the blue fabric with little flowers, from the top of the quilt, or an old vintage sheet. Hmmmmm…. Then comes the super challenging part of actually “quilting”. I’m not sure which method I’m going to use. I think I need to practice on a smaller project first… maybe a pot holder 🙂 I’ll keep you updated.